Restaurant: Sushi Hachi
Address: Pacific Plaza, 1287-8888 Odlin Crescent
Parking: Private Parking
Hours of Operation: Mon-Sat 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent
How much do we love sushi? CC and I always said that we would never be able to date a guy if he did not eat sushi. I get shivers just thinking about not being able to order sushi on a date night.. what a horrible date it would be… I remember when CC first met her fiance many years ago, she totally hesitated because he did not eat raw fish! I was like “girl, you need to think it over…it’s sushi we are talking about…can you give up sushi for a guy?”. Okay, it’s a bit of an exaggeration but that’s how much we love sushi! Thankfully, CC was able to turn him into Sushi lover like us 😉
You know when a guy asks his girlfriend what she wants to eat and she would be like “I don’t know…” and he would suggest “how about we eat x or y” but she would be like…”no…not there…” or she might ask him “what do you want to eat?” and your definitive answer is followed with a look of disappointment? I know guys HATE this and I feel for you guys (although I’m guilty of this lol!). One tip of advice I can give for guys is to at least recommend three options and put a decent sushi joint in one of the options. I mean sushi is basically the universal go-to when your girlfriend can’t figure out what she wants to eat! This is how I ended up in this tiny sushi restaurant in Richmond called Sushi Hachi!
This restaurant is owned by a Japanese couple and it opens from Tuesday to Saturday and only operating for 3 hours a day! Growing up, my mom owned a Japanese restaurant so I know how much restaurant owners need to compromise their home life for the sake of their business. I think the owners of Sushi Hachi are smart. They probably just want to earn just enough so that they can maintain their living but spend more time with their family. The service can be slow time to time because they don’t have any employees but the food is pretty damn solid!
BBQ Salmon Skin Salad– 3.5/5
- Grilled Salmon skin served with thinly sliced cucumbers and masago and green onion on top.
- Very refreshing salad with salmon skin nicely grilled.
- I believe the sauce was ponzu sauce and it went very well with this salad.
Chef’s Choice sushi – 4/5
- 10 pieces of chef’s choice nigri with 1 tekka maki (tuna roll)
- I always get this set and few more pieces of nigiri sushi whenever I go to this restaurant.
- The nigiri is chef’s choice so it will change slightly every visit.
- The fish are prepared carefully and the fish quality is very high.
- $4.00 per piece
- Pretty damn pricey but they were very soft and puffy.
- They were one of the best unagi nigiri I’ve had in Vancouver.
Chopped Scallop-3/5, Tamago-3.5/5, Toro– 3.5/5
- Chopped Scallop $2.50 per piece, Tamago $2.00 per piece, Toro $2.50 per piece
- Pieces are definitely smaller side but I like it that way 😉
At Sushi Hachi, you need to get sashimi and sushi, not the rolls. I’ve ordered one of the rolls previously but I think it wasn’t that impressive. The place is really small so you should probably make reservations. I heard people can get rejected sometimes because they are completely reserved but somehow I always managed to find a seat without making reservations. Sushi Hachi is a place where you get authentic sushi with high quality fish. If you are obsessed with high quality sushi like me, I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy it here. But be warned; your bill can get inflated depending on what you order!