Restaurant: Famoso Neapolitan Pizzeria
Area: Surrey- Morgan Crossing
Address: Pad 3 -15865 Croydon Dr.
Parking: Mall Parking
Phone: (604) 560-9544
Hours of Operation: Sun-Thurs 11:00am – 11:00pm; Fri-Sat 11:00am – midnight
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent
It was such a beautiful sunny day that I decided to head out to Morgan Crossing with one of my best friends (yes, not UG). Since I live in Surrey, driving to Morgan Crossing once in awhile is not too bad. My craving for Chocolate Chai Fog from Mink Chocolates Cafe is usually what brings me here. So before making my friend also fall in love with the chai fog, we decided to have a quick lunch at Famoso.
Famoso Neapolitan Pizzeria currently has three locations in Lower Mainland- Commercial Drive (Vancouver), Morgan Crossing (Surrey), and High Street (Abbotsford), but a fourth location is soon to be open in Guildford Town Centre, just below Milestones. Woo!
Anyways, the restaurant has special ordering procedures and the steps are explained on the order sheets. Basically when you sit down at a table, menus, order sheets and a pencil are already on your table; you just write down what you would want on the sheet and take it up to the counter to place your order. You do not have to wait at the counter until your food is ready nor come back to pick them up. Your server will bring everything to you and take your dishes away once you are done; after placing an order it is just like any other restaurants.
Gorgonzola Walnut Salad – 2.5/5
- $8 for starter size
- Romaine lettuce, Gorgonzola cheese, walnuts, semi-dried cranberries, Gorgonzola walnut vinaigrette
- Fairly basic salad made with fresh ingredients, nothing special
- Somewhat lacking in flavor
Funghi – 4/5
- Parmesan crema, fior-di-latte, roasted white mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, caramelized onions, white truffle oil, pecorino romano
- Sweetness from caramelized onions worked well with sharp and salty flavor of pecorino romano
- Generous amount of toppings but a little less generosity may enhance sophistication in flavor
- Chewy and flavorful dough, not soggy but wished it was a little crispier
Don Andreas – 2.5/5
- Creme Fraiche, fior-di-latte, roasted chicken, corn and chipotle salsa, avocado, chopped cilantro, lime wedge, side of Valentina hot sauce
- Nice to try something different and unusual
- Fresh ingredients but did not seem to be blending with each other that well
- Again, a little less generosity on toppings may enhance sophistication in flavor as well as help the dough remain crispy while placed on the table
Dolce & Banana – 4/5
- Caramelized, oven-roasted bananas, crushed pecans, caramel sauce, vanilla bean gelato
- A combination of vanilla gelato with warm and sweet bananas cannot go wrong
- Maybe a little more gelato and less bananas would help balance the overall sweetness
This was my first visit to this particular location but in terms of general ambiance and overall food, I prefer this location over the Commercial Drive location. Although on this day, our ‘quick lunch’ was not really a ‘quick’ one after all, Famoso would be a great place to have a quick and/or casual meal with friends and family. If you don’t mind eating outside, I would also recommend sitting in their patio (heated during colder seasons).