Restaurant: Toshi Sushi
Area: Mount Pleasant/Main Street
Address: 181 E 16th Ave
Parking: Street Parking
Phone: (604) 874-5173
Hours of Operation: Tue-Sat Dinner 5:00-9:30
1: Poor 2: OK 3: Good 4: Very good 5: Excellent
Constantly rated as one of the top Japanese restaurant in Vancouver, I have never seen Toshi without a line up. This tiny restaurant located on 16th avenue only opens for dinner 5 days a week (Tuesday to Saturday). First thing you should do when you get there is to put your name on the waiting list paper affixed against the pole. I think the longest I’ve waited to be seated was around 45 minutes (One piece of advice is to never go there in a big group!!). Also, you will not be seated until all your party member arrives which many people complain about but the rule
totally makes sense for me. So, is it worth the wait? I would say YES! Toshi is one of my favorite Japanese restaurants considering the value and quality. It is my “go-to” place when I have major sushi craving and yet, I don’t want to leave a hole in my wallet. So when CC and I decided to open our own food blog, Toshi was one of the places we had to blog about!
- Nasu Dengaku (Miso Glazed Eggplant) $5.75
- This is is MUST TRY menu of Toshi
- I’ve tried quite few Nasu Dengaku in other Japanese restaurants but this is by far the best
one I’ve ever had in Vancouver.
- The dish consists of two pieces (one whole eggplant cut into half) of long Japanese eggplant.
- The eggplant was perfectly grilled and had wonderful sweetness and tenderness to it.
- I also enjoyed the skin of the eggplant as it had crispy texture to it.
- Spicy Agedashi Tofu $4.95
- The dish consists of about half a dozen cubes of deep fried tofu
- Enoki mushrooms on top of the deep fried tofu was definitely something unique.
- Spicy sauce was mild spicy and gave wonderful flavor and softness to the crispy tofu.
- Gyoza Combo $5.25
- The dish came out with 3 vegetable gyoza and 3 seafood gyoza.
- They were crispy outside and had full of ingredients inside.
- Ika Karaage (Deep Fried Squid) $5.25
- The squid was too dry and chewy for my liking.
- I used to love this dish and I’ve been ordering it from Day 1 but it seems like they changed the squid and I will probably not be ordering dish again for my next visit.
- Mango Smoked Salmon Roll $6.50
- We substituted the smoked salmon to sokeye salmon for CC’s liking
- This roll had huge chunk of mango in it that it was full of flavorful sweetness from mango
- Salmon and Avocado Roll $3.95
- The roll was made up of sokeye salmon and avocado
- It was a simple but well executed roll
- Tekka Maki (tuna roll) $2.25
- I usually order tekka maki in most of the sushi places because it is a simple dish that tells you a lot about the restaurant.
- It was rolled perfectly without the rice being pressed too hard that it maintained its moist.
- Chopped Scallop Nigiri $2.35
- Unlike the other restaurants, the chopped scallop was not mixed with masago (flying fish roe).
- Scallop was chopped into small pieces and had Japanese mayonnaise on top.
- Scallop was fresh but I still prefer the chopped scallop from Shiro, Sushi by Yuji or hanako more
- Aji (Horse/Spanish Mackerel) $1.95
- Aji is one of the most common and cheapest of silverback fish
- It has similar rich taste as mackerel but lighter than them.
- It was nicely served with grated ginger and scallion and I enjoyed the rich flavor of them.
- Hamachi Nigiri (Yellow Tail) $2.35
- Hamachi had rich, smooth and buttery taste , but it was not overpoweringly fatty.
- It was fresh and decent but we still prefer the Hamachi we ate from Hitoe sushi
- Hirame Nigiri (Flounder) $1.75
- Hirame has a very light and delicate taste compared to other fishes.
- It was soft yet had chewiness to it.
- Isaki Nigiri (Grunt Fish)$1.75
- It had a tad firm texture to it but it was also quite meaty
- Amaebi Nigiri (Sweet Shrimp)$1.95
- They used one big botan ebi rather small amaebi
- I found the Amaebi decent but considering the price, it is well worth it!
- Amaebi Head (comes with Amaebi Nigiri)
- If you order Amaebi nigiri, they will deep fried the head for you for free.
- It was nicely deep fried and had crispy texture to it.
Just click outside the pop-up to close it.